Saturday, August 25, 2007

8/25/07

Hopefully this is going to the first in a series of posts each day, as opposed to the random posts I've been doing right now.

Today's dose is a movie.

The first time I ever saw this movie was with Papa on Thanksgiving in 1994. It aired on our local PBS station at around 11'0 clock at night, and followed The Beatles' HELP! movie. When it first started, we weren't really aware of what it was. As it went on and on and got more bizarre I knew this was a movie like I'd never seen. We had no idea what the title was, and it never showed again (as far as we knew) and I never really forgot about it. Different situations would bring it up into my mind, memories of the Morgan character (played expertly by David Warner) and his obsession with gorillas and Karl Marx. Around 1999 (after being able to drive to the places I wanted to go) I asked around at different video retailers and rental places, including a couple that specialized in foreign and hard-to-find titles. After explaining the plot, and noting that it was from England, and in black-and-white; nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. About three-and-a-half years later, in early 2003, following the trend of obscure and foreign movies being released on DVD, I started posting around on different message boards and blogs about the movie, did anyone know the title. Strangely enough, someone from Lawrence (where I had done 90% of my seeking for the title in the pre-DVD days.) responded with an e-mail about the title. I bought the movie from Amazon about ten minutes later, and it's one of my most watched and most beloved DVDs. It's a bit of a unique film, and if you really dislike British cinema or '60s films, this is probably not one that you're going to love. However, if you keep an open mind going into it, and appreciate it for how unique and unlike other films it is, then it's probably going to secure a warm and welcome spot in your collection.

Purchase 'Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment' @ Amazon:


For more information:
Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment @ Wikipedia
Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment @ IMDB

No comments: